Yes, yes, yes ....I am in the midst of a major nesting extravaganza.
Everything that I bring down from the old sewing studio to the new studio seems to require at least a coat of fresh paint. I am in nesting mode to the 20th exponential. at least. :->
I have had this project on my back burner for quite some time. ( I have been saving a lot of ideas for the big move)
I first saw this project in a BHG publication and fell in love. Then I read the directions :-< Then I read the supply list :-<
The directions were a tad bit complicated and the supply list was a lot overpriced for me.
But I still really, really wanted to make this project so I pondered it and came up with an easier and cheaper alternate.
Here is my "sewing studio" version.
The supply list is here, everything is pictured above. Remember everything is thrifted or re-purposed. I only purchased the threaded rod and the hex nuts and washers.
1) wooden lazy susan
2) large metal tray
3) two vintage tin bottoms (save the tops for another project)
4) threaded metal rod (24")
5) hex nuts and washers to fit metal rod
6) mod podge
7) sewing thread spools
8) topper or finial
OK, my directions are going to be specific to making a three tired organizer just like mine. Modify as you see fit.
The end result will be something similar to this:
I found the center for the tray, lazy susan, and the tins and then pre-drilled a hole in each.
Next I inserted the threaded rod in the lazy susan and then added some glue before sliding the tray over the threaded rod. Next I secured the rod with a washer and hex nut.
Now, to cover the threaded rod and add stability I used vintage spools of thread. Before sliding them over the rod I painted them with Mod Podge to give them a finished look and secure the thread on the spools.
After adding the spools of thread then I added another washer and hex nut then I added the next tin.
I continued with a washer and hex nut then more spools. Next came another washer, hex nut and then the third and smallest tin. Another set of washer and hex nut then more spools.
I topped it off with a larger spool and then a vintage tomato pin cushion.